Needless to say why students love summer vacation! No morning rush, getting enough leisure time, traveling with family for a short or long trip, catching up with long-forgotten friends and watching new movies or series are some of the fun-filled events that summer vacations bring along. However, the responsible bunch of students does not completely enjoy or rather dread to get completely detached from studies!
From career perspective, summer vacation is a time when you can start something new. Summer is the perfect break-time when you can think out-of-the-box and seek for a backup for your career rather than following the same usual school routine. You can participate in a job internship program or do a preparatory course for a graduate school. You can even take some time to self-introspect and think over what you really want to pursue all over again.
You can vehemently seek out for an opportunity to learn a new skill or talent. After all, you are aware that in today’s competitive world, having an extra skill adds a lot of weight to your resume. It might not be a very challenging coursework, but something light will also do. It should be of your interest. After all, summer vacations are meant for you to break the norm.
Summer months appeal to homeschooling families in a different way. They believe in incorporating a new learning mode or get the children involved in an exclusive project work during these sunny times.
Here are some activities that homeschooling parents encourage their children to get into during the summer breaks:
- They come up with many fun and educational field trip ideas. Many kids can gather together, belonging to the same homeschooling community and explore the local sites together. Carrying binoculars, refreshments and nature notebooks to capture certain info can add excitement to such explorations.
- They might organize online games such as treasure-hunt games or real-life events such as cultural events to bring the talents of the children to limelight.
- Many families stress on family-centric events such as reading challenge, spelling contest, arts and crafts related contest or a painting contest. This not only hones the skillset of the children but also inculcates family values and brings the family together. What else can be a better purpose for summer time?
- A fun and interactive quiz show is also a favorable idea. Parents, friends or peers all can take part. It can be made interesting as well as a bit challenging by involving small experiments, a plain computer search or a couple of library trips. The experiments might be easy hilarious ones but might be mind-stimulating for the children at the same time.
- Children are often encourages to hold on to their subject of interest and research further. It is never a burden to learn something which delights your senses. Whether a subcategory within arts, science or math, the children are given the freedom to select their choice and explore fun filled facts related to that specialized subjective area.
It is essential for all students to be on track during their summer vacations as well. However, the generic psychology wants variations from the regular course, especially during the summer vacation.
Elementary kids can be encouraged to take part in spelling contests or fun-filled math and science related quizzes. These quizzes can be arranged online. Participation of the several online peers together in such activities promotes effective socialization. Parents might evaluate their children’s performance in such brain-drilling blithe activities. The summer time can be utilized for kids to develop and discover their own areas of interest. Some kids might like drawing cartoon characters while dancing and singing might be a forte for others while some might like cooking. They can be taken to the nearest Sports Centers to practice various sports. Reading short stories online and finding the meaning of the difficult words might be another form of engagement for kids.
For middle school students, summer is the perfect time to join online fun-filled preparatory courses for the next level that is the much edified “high-school”! Students can join various summer school lessons online. They also can build their additional skills in problem-solving, language arts, social studies, science, English vocabulary etc. Various online curriculums are available for a wide variety of subjects. There are courses that focus on making the child revise all the topics that he or she had learned earlier. This strengthens their basics and prepares them for the upcoming high school workload. These curriculums might keep the student engaged with various interactive activities such as collaborative project works on specialized topics, discussion boards, debates and quizzes to test one’s analytical skillset and practical knowledge. After all, practical implementation of the acquired knowledge is the most important skill required in the higher levels of workload.
High-school students need to take full advantage of this summer-break to get exposed to a wider array of opportunities. They need to explore the new emerging fields as well, lest any one of these captures their interest and brings a turning point to his or her career. They also need to focus on specialized college preparatory courses that are organized in summer. College-level work environment is such that bookish knowledge does not hold a candle in front of practical skills. These online high school courses make you adept with all the pre-requisites required for entry to any college. You can even opt to recover your missing credits during this time. There are several specialized online courses that allow you to resume your courses back that you had to leave midway earlier due to family bindings or crisis. Students need to talk to the Admissions Officer or Counselor of the online high school to recommend such a curriculum to him or her.
Pre-college online courses are rigorous yet exciting with active learning experiences led by specialized online instructors. Innovative methods are applied to drill the students’ mind as well as to keep him engrossed. Several discussion boards, group discussions, lab related work and many other activities might be organized to help the student enjoy and learn.